CARRA Newsletter - December 2018 Issue 2
When: January 28, 2019
This will be a unique one-day event for principal investigators, sub-investigators and coordinators from every CARRA Registry site. The purpose of the retreat is to facilitate and improve the experience of participating in the Registry by actively engaging with one another through small groups, panel discussions, brainstorming, problem-solving, role-playing and training.
Why is the Registry so important? "We joined the CARRA Registry because we want to learn about the long term safety of the medications we use. We had so many questions after we received our diagnosis and felt the best way to answer those questions was with lots of data. All patients should be given the opportunity to be a part of the CARRA Registry. It’s simple, all YOU have to do is ASK! CARRA means a lot to the to our Juvenile Arthritis family because they are searching for answers to our questions. The least we could do is share our data so we can all learn the safest and best treatments with HOPES to find a CURE one day.” - The Carroll Family
In this Issue...
The CARRA Business Office will be closed from December 24 – January 1.
Happy Holidays, and we look forward to working with you in 2019!
The success of the CARRA Registry is very much dependent on everyone’s engagement, so we strongly encourage the participation of every Registry site in the retreat. Each site may send up to 3 attendees to this event: the Registry site PI, one site coordinator, and one sub-investigator.
The CARRA Registry Retreat will be held January 28, 2019 in Orlando, Florida at the Renaissance Orlando Airport Hotel. Attendees will fly in Sunday afternoon of January 27 for a CARRA-sponsored reception. Heavy hors d’oeuvres and cocktails will be provided starting at 7 pm ET. The one-day retreat will be held on Monday, January 28, starting at 8 am and ending at 4 pm ET. Attendees will fly home that evening. You may contact Director of Research Operations, Miranda Wenzlaff ([email protected]) with any questions.
Please be sure to mark your calendars! We hope to see you there!
The CARRA Elections Committee seeks nominations for the following CARRA leadership positions:
- JIA Chair1
- JIA Vice Chair2
- Research Coordinator Network Chair1 (NEW POSITION*)
- Research Coordinator Network Vice Chair2 (NEW POSITION*)
1Position receives 10% salary support
2Position receives 5% salary support
*NEW POSITIONS: RESEARCH COORDINATOR NETWORK (RCN) CHAIR & VICE CHAIR:
The Steering Committee has approved a reorganization of the coordinator network in an effort to improve research engagement across sites and to align these efforts with the current goals of the CARRA organization. The current Steering Committee roles of Chair and Vice Chair of the Research Coordinator Advisory Committee (RCAC) will end on 6/30/19 and new positions of RCN Chair and Vice Chair will start serving on the Steering Committee beginning 7/1/19. These new elected coordinator leadership roles will represent the entirety of the CARRA coordinator network, not just the Research Coordinator Advisory Committee, which is a subset of the coordinator network. To learn more about these new positions, click here.
TWO SEPARATE ELECTIONS
The elections for the Steering Committee Chair open positions will be held prior to the elections for the Steering Committee Vice Chair open positions.
|Round 1 (JIA Chair, RCN Chair)||Round 2 (JIA Vice Chair, RCN Vice Chair)|
|Nominations Due||February 13|
|Nominee Applications Due||January 7||February 20|
|Voting Opens||January 10||February 26|
|Voting Closes||January 21||March 7|
|Announcement of Election Results||January 31||March 14|
You may nominate yourself or someone else. To view the full election timeline and Scope of Work for each position, please visit the Elections page on the CARRA website.
CARRA is funding up to 2 travel awards for Early Investigators and/or fellows to attend the EULAR European Congress of Rheumatology 2019, a joint congress with Pediatric Rheumatology European Society (PReS) annual meeting, and the preconference meeting for young/early investigators in Madrid, Spain from June 11 through June 15. This opportunity is open to all CARRA US and Canadian Early Investigators (finished fellowship in 2012 or later) and fellow members. This is an outstanding meeting and a great chance to present your work and network.
Final application deadline: January 17, 2019
The goals of this travel award are to
- Create collaboration between the CARRA Early Investigator group and the PReS Young Investigator group
- Give CARRA members an opportunity to give a scientific presentation (oral or poster) at an international meeting
- Allow CARRA members to attend the very highly-regarded EMEUNET-PReS EMERGE Young Investigators Meeting (YIM), which starts mid-day on June 11, 2019.
- Provide an opportunity for CARRA Early Investigators to network and collaborate with international colleagues
- Amount: Up to $2,500 per awardee to pay for registration and travel
- Meeting details: http://www.congress.eular.org/index.cfm
- EULAR abstract submission site (due by January 31): http://www.congress.eular.org/abstract_submission.cfm
- Awardees must commit to attending the entire meeting (including the EMEUNET-PReS EMERGE Young Investigators Meeting (YIM))
- Abstracts submitted for this meeting will be published by BMJ Publishing Group Limited and European League Against Rheumatism in Annals of the Rheumatic Diseases.
To be considered for this travel award, you must submit the following to CARRA
- Draft abstract
- 1-2 paragraph personal statement: This should consist of less than one page describing yourself, your career goals, and any ongoing research projects. Include details on how you will benefit from this opportunity, and what, if any, specific impact your participation will have on CARRA.
- CV or NIH Biosketch
- Letter from your division chief stating that you will be allowed to take the time to attend the meeting.
Please submit these materials via this online application form. CARRA will review abstracts and make selections before the official abstract submission site closes on January 31, 2019.
Contact CARRA Research Administrator, Portlynne Joseph ([email protected]) with questions about the application process.
Membership renewal is now open! As a CARRA member, you can:
- Apply for CARRA grants and travel awards
- Have access to the CARRA Members-Only Collaboration Site
- Receive travel support to attend the Annual Scientific Meeting. The 2019 meeting will take place in Louisville, KY from April 10 – 14, 2019. We would love for you to join us!
Members must review/update their membership records annually and remain current on dues in order to be eligible for the above benefits.
Membership Renewal Due Date: February 1, 2019
If you have any questions, please contact CARRA at [email protected] or 414-918-9822
Call for Abstracts
CARRA invites you to submit an abstract to the 2019 Annual Meeting! The deadline to submit abstracts is January 8, 2019 and the abstract submission site is NOW OPEN! Contact CARRA staff with any questions by emailing [email protected] or by calling 414-918-9822 (ask to speak with the CARRA Research Administrator, Portlynne Joseph)
The 2019 CARRA Annual Scientific Meeting will take place in Louisville, Kentucky from April 10-14, 2019. For the latest information about the CARRA Annual Scientific Meeting, visit our website.
2019 Pediatric Residents Program
Application Deadline: January 8, 2019
To address the shortage of pediatric rheumatologists and to expose pediatric residents to the field of rheumatology, CARRA has created the Pediatric Residents Program. CARRA is providing funds to support pediatric residents’ attendance at the CARRA 2019 Annual Scientific Meeting at the Marriott Louisville Downtown in Louisville, KY, from April 10-14, 2019. Awardees will be teamed with a CARRA member from another state/institution who will help guide their experience at the meeting.
For any questions, please contact CARRA at [email protected]
If you are looking for one last opportunity to make a difference this holiday season, please consider donating to the Arthritis Foundation through CARRA’s Jingle Bell Walk team, “Team CARRA!”
This holiday season, CARRA members have been participating in the Arthritis Foundation’s Jingle Bell Run events around the country, and our teams will continue to accept donations through the end of December. CARRA leadership and staff formed “Team CARRA!” so that our members and supporters who are not involved in local Jingle Bell Walk events would have a way to donate to the Arthritis Foundation while supporting CARRA. Donations are tax deductible!
The Arthritis Foundation has been a steadfast supporter of CARRA since its inception and is a major partner in support of our research to improve outcomes for children with rheumatic diseases.
To date, CARRA Teams have raised $14,096!
Your contributions are appreciated!
Thank you for your support of CARRA and the Arthritis Foundation!
- December 24 – January 1: CARRA Business Offices Closed – Happy Holidays!
- January 3, 2019: CARRA Registry Retreat Registration Deadline
- January 8, 2019: CARRA Annual Meeting Abstracts Due
- January 8, 2019: Pediatric Residents Program Applications Due
- January 17, 2019: PReS/EULAR Travel Award Applications Due
- January 27-28, 2019: CARRA Registry Retreat, Orlando, FL
- February 1, 2019: Membership Renewal Due
- February 13, 2019: Round 2 Election Nominations Due
- February 15, 2019: CARRA-Arthritis Foundation Fellow and Small Grant Applications Due
- April 10-14, 2019: 2019 CARRA Annual Scientific Meeting, Louisville, KY
JA Power Pack
The Arthritis Foundation’s JA Power Pack is a toolkit with useful information and tools to assist newly-diagnosed children and teens, as well as their parents. These resources were designed to give you and your family the power to make living with JA easier. Knowing what to expect and how to deal with it is the key to better living with JA.
Please encourage the patients and families you serve to order a JA Power Pack in one of the following ways:
- Call the Arthritis Foundation toll-free number, 1-800-283-7800 to place an order
- Obtain an order form from their care provider and return to the Arthritis Foundation Office printed on the form
- Complete an updated order form during their clinic visit so their care provider can send to the Arthritis Foundation office
- Call their local Arthritis Foundation office and order over the phone
Health Care Providers can request a tear-off pad of JA Power Pack order forms by contacting the Arthritis Foundation local office in your area.
Champion of Yes
The Arthritis Foundation is the Champion of Yes. We exist to conquer arthritis and other childhood rheumatic diseases. We’ve been meeting the unique and urgent needs of families for 70 years. Working closely with such great research partners as the Childhood Arthritis and Rheumatology Research Alliance (CARRA) (www.carragroup.org), we’re investing millions of dollars in outreach and collaborative research that advances prevention, care and a cure for kids and teens with rheumatic diseases. Our tools and resources help more children say Yes to making life better.