Steering Committee Chair Scope of Work
(Cross Cutting, JDM, JIA, PAIN, SLE, Small Centers, SVARD, TRTC)
- Complete an annual report including committee and workgroup progress, activities at the annual meeting, and future plans to CARRA by May 30 of each year.
- Develop and update your committee’s scientific goals to be presented in the annual report.
- Participate in the submission of at least one grant application yearly to support CARRA research.
- Take a leadership role in the submission of an external funding application to support CARRA research at least once during each 3 year term (excluding RCN)
- Identify potential successors at least one year prior to expiration of term
- Lead the committee and oversee the general workings of the committee
- Set and enable the scientific agenda for the committee
- Set priorities and direction for research development for your committee
- Manage the distribution of the group’s discretionary funds
- Facilitate communication within the committee, including regular communication with workgroup leaders
- Attend all monthly Steering Committee meetings (conference calls), currently held the 2nd Friday of each month from 2-3:30PM Eastern time
- Attend all face to face meetings of the Steering Committee
- Attend (in person) the CARRA Annual Scientific Meeting
- As a member of the Steering Committee, provide direction and oversight for CARRA’s internally funded research Scientific Review Committee, Publications Committee, Data & Sample Share Committee, and CTP Committee
- As a member of the Steering Committee, also provide oversight of CARRA membership engagement and the CARRA Annual Scientific Meeting
- Represent CARRA as a consultant/resource to collaborators and other groups when needed
- Participate in the planning and execution of the Annual Meeting:
- Co-lead (with Vice Chair) the group’s committee meeting and organization of workgroup meetings (coordinating with ED and meeting planner)
- Assist with identifying keynote and plenary program speakers
- Provide a summary of the committee/workgroups activities in annual report
- Workgroup Leadership:
- Identify workgroup leaders
- Oversee workgroup progress with regular meetings throughout the year with leaders, including assisting with organizing sessions at the Annual Meeting
- Periodically participate in Workgroup conference calls
- Develop new workgroups when sufficient need and interest are present and aligned with the overall strategic interests of CARRA and the committee.
- Communicate at least monthly with Vice Chair on goals and progress of the committee and its workgroups, assign tasks to Vice Chair as appropriate
- Provide input into the CARRA Registry data collection and operations relevant to diseases within the committee
- Prioritize and enhance CARRA research studies and Registry enrollment and site performance, including working with his/her site as appropriate
- Provide input into selection of CARRA scientific grant review committee members
- Offer guidance and support to CARRA members who are developing and implementing original research ideas, especially young investigators
- Train and orient new chair
Must be a member in good standing.
- Member is current on membership dues and membership information (location, contact information, and membership status) is up-to-date
- Member participates in at least one Research Committee (e.g. JDM, JIA, SVARD, etc.) of CARRA
- Member has attended at least one annual CARRA meeting over the last 3 year period
Three year term
An estimated/average 4 hours weekly will be needed to perform these duties. This role includes compensation of 10% of salary plus fringe.