Data Analysis Support Grant
The CARRA-Arthritis Foundation Data Analysis Support Grant mechanism is available to researchers to support qualitative and quantitative data analyses on existing CARRA datasets from collaborative research projects. Limited funds (up to $10,000 in total costs) may be requested to complete a fixed set of tasks that will result in timely publication of results. The investigator should have the data in hand at the time of the application submission. It is anticipated that funds will be used for statistician effort/fee for service to support database cleaning and/or statistical analyses. Funds are not to be used for collecting additional data, investigator effort for drafting manuscripts, publication or printing costs. This mechanism ONLY supports the analysis of CARRA-related datasets. Any proposed work using datasets outside of the CARRA network is not eligible. It is expected that awardees will complete analysis and submit a manuscript for publication based on the funded project within the project period, but no later than 6 months after the project end date.
Now Accepting Applications
Data Analysis Support Grant Applications to Include:
- Project Summary/Abstract (300 word max)
- Lay Summary (150 word max)
- Resubmission Modification, if applicable (Download template: WORD)
- Resubmission modification is required if the applicant has previous submitted a similar project. Applicants should provide an explanation of what has changed from a prior application. Examples would include addressing budget differences or weaknesses the reviewers found in an earlier application.
- Specific Aims (limit 1 page) (Download template: WORD)
- Research Plan (limit 3 pages) (Download template: WORD)
- References (no page limit) (Download template: WORD)
- Budget Table (limit 1 page) (Download template: WORD)
- All Primary Investigators (PI) are required to dedicate effort on their projects which must be noted on the budget table. A letter of support from your division chief documenting that the % effort is available must be submitted with each application. If the PI is the division chief, a letter from the Department Chairperson is required.
- Budget Justification (Download template: WORD)
- NIH-formatted Biosketches for all Principal Investigator(s), Co-Principal Investigator(s), and all Co-Investigator(s) (limit 5 pages per biosketch; please combine all biosketches into one PDF with the PI(s) biosketch listed first.)
- Letters of support from collaborators, mentors and institution are highly recommended.
- Research Assurances, if applicable
- Submit documentation of an Institutional Review Board (IRB) review. Funds will not be released until either 1) IRB approval letter or 2) IRB waiver/documentation that IRB has determined your project is exempt from IRB review is received.
- Appendix, if applicable
Review the detailed application checklist and instructions prior to submission. Applicants must use the templates provided when submitting their final applications. CARRA Staff is available to assist with the application process and to answer questions. Contact us by emailing [email protected].
APPLICATIONS NOT FOLLOWING THESE INSTRUCTIONS WILL NOT BE CONSIDERED
Important Information for Data Analysis Support Grant Submissions
Applications are accepted on a rolling basis.
- Read the CARRA-Arthritis Foundation Data Analysis Support Grant instructions carefully. Be sure to be compliant with formatting requirements and page limits.
- Use of the template documents provided is REQUIRED.
- Submit your completed Data Analysis Support application via the online grant submission system.
- The project PI for all grants must be a current CARRA member who is in good standing and current on membership dues and membership information (location, contact information, and membership status).
- MD applicants must be at a faculty level to be eligible to submit proposals.
- Voting Members, Emeritus Members, Research Professional Member - Investigators, Research Professional Member - Research Coordinator Members, Associate Physician Members, and Trainee Members are eligible to submit proposals.
- Priority will be given to new and/or early investigators.
- Research Coordinator Member- Others, Health Care Professional Members, Fellow Members, and CARRA Executive Committee and Board of Directors members are not eligible.
- The funding limit of this grant mechanism is $10,000 (in total costs).
- Salary support for PI(s) and Co-I(s) is not allowed. Salary support for analytical support and for other personnel essential to the project is allowed. Salary support will be limited to a base-salary cap of $200,000 but can include payment of local fringe rates (on top of the $200,000 salary cap).
- This is a total costs award. If indirects are requested, they must be inclusive of the maximum funding amount of $10,000. Indirects may not exceed 8%. Please review CARRA’s statement of direct and indirect support.
- A given investigator may only have one active Data Analysis Support grant per 365 day period.
- A given investigator may also have an active CARRA-Arthritis Foundation large or small grant (in the same year).
- Preference will be given to research that is collaborative in nature and uses CARRA infrastructure.
- Grants will be considered on a rolling basis; simply complete the online application.
- All awards are for a one year period.
- Funds will be provided to the awardee's institution as an unrestricted grant provided as a lump sum to a sundry account used by the PI according to the project budget.
- If the project is not completed within the project period, the award recipient may request a no-cost extension (NCE) for up to 12 months. Requests for NCEs can be made up to 90 days prior, but no less than 30 days prior, to the project period end date. An interim progress report must be submitted with the NCE Request Form, both of which are available on the CARRA website.
- If the PI is unable to complete the project, any unexpended balance must be returned to CARRA.
- Applications will be reviewed by the CARRA Scientific Review Committee and the Internally Funded Research Oversight Committee.
- Funding notification will occur within 4-6 weeks of application submission.
- A final progress report is required no later than 45 days after the project period end date.
- Awardees are expected to submit an abstract and attend the CARRA Annual Meeting(s) until the project is complete/final results are presented.
- Timely provision of progress reports is required for future eligibility for CARRA-Arthritis Foundation grants.
- It is expected that awardees will complete analysis and submit a manuscript for publication based on the funded project within the project period, but no later than 6 months after the project end date.
- All awardees of CARRA-Arthritis Foundation funding must abide by the procedures outlined in the CARRA Publications Policy when presenting/publishing findings from their projects. This includes submitting all abstracts and manuscripts to the CARRA Publications Committee for approval prior to submission and acknowledging the support of CARRA and the Arthritis Foundation by including the following language: “The authors wish to acknowledge CARRA, and the ongoing Arthritis Foundation financial support of CARRA.” Refer to the current Publications Policy for complete details.