Director, Communications and Marketing
Status: Full-time, Exempt
Reports to: Chief Executive Officer
About us: The Childhood Arthritis and Rheumatology Research Alliance (CARRA) mission is to conduct collaborative research to prevent, treat, and cure pediatric rheumatic diseases. We envision a world free of limitations from pediatric rheumatic diseases. A career with CARRA is the opportunity to change the trajectory of pediatric rheumatic disease. We are a fast-paced, insatiably curious, driven, passionate and professional team – inspired and fueled by the CARRA mission. Over 85% of all pediatric rheumatologists in the United States are CARRA members. Why does that matter? Because you get to work with the smartest, most driven passionate, kind, deeply engaged and relentlessly driven doctors and researchers in the field. If this sounds interesting, please keep reading!
Position Summary: CARRA is seeking a highly motivated, creative, and experienced ‘roll-up your sleeves and hands-on’ Director of Communications and Marketing to join our dynamic team. Reporting to the Chief Executive Officer, the Director will develop and lead organization-wide communications strategy, planning, and execution. This role will also envision, build, design and drive the marketing plan and content for CARRA. If you are a skilled roll-up your sleeves communicator with a passion for external relations, marketing, building collateral, designing, and articulating a compelling story across various communications channels (including social media), we would love to talk to you. This is a fully remote position.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- In collaboration with the Chief Executive Officer, Director of Development, Director of Research Operations, CARRA members and other key staff partners, assess, develop, and implement a coherent set of communications and marketing strategies, implementation plans, and collateral to inform and engage external and internal audiences in ways that drives CARRA’s mission, strategy, and goals.
- In partnership with the Director of Development build and drive the content that will support our philanthropic efforts. Build and tell the CARRA story – build the ‘why’ to drive compelling engagement across all external key stakeholders. Implement the day-to-day marketing and communications, including messaging, channels, frequency, logistics, and evaluation.
- Design, oversee, and contribute to communication plans and campaigns, from strategy to hands-on content development and distribution. Oversee and promote content calendars and other project management tools to coordinate information flow.
- Oversee and optimize channels to ensure timely and effective communications to all CARRA constituents.
- Develop and maintain strong and collaborative relationships with key stakeholders to foster alignment in messaging, internally and externally across the CARRA community.
- Write, edit, proofread, and facilitate review/approval of communications, in collaboration with others, as needed. Serve as a credible voice, providing coaching and feedback to leaders with the goal of improving their personal communications.
- Conduct research and analysis to inform communication and marketing strategies and tactics, such as the use of search optimization, Google analytics, generative AI in content strategy and creation.
- In partnership with the Director of Finance and Administration, manage all revenue and expenses related to the marketing and communications efforts.
- Develop a media relations and social media strategy, which includes social media platform maintenance, monitoring and analyzing trends and public engagement, and the distribution of media releases to ensure a consistent CARRA message to the public (or internal and external stakeholders).
- Other responsibilities as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities Required:
- Bachelor’s degree in communications, marketing, or related field.
- Minimum of 6-8 years of experience in communications and marketing.
- Strong strategic thinking and planning skills, with demonstrated experience developing and executing communication strategies to implement change, foster an inclusive culture, and promote employee engagement.
- Roll-up your sleeves hands-on leader. Strong project management skills, with the ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously, meet deadlines, and negotiate priorities.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills, with the demonstrated ability to work collaboratively across teams and interact effectively with stakeholders at all levels, serving as a trusted adviser. High level of professionalism, discretion, and integrity when handling sensitive or confidential information.
- Excellent writing, editing, and storytelling skills, with the ability to craft compelling messages for diverse audiences.
- Demonstrated success in developing and managing communication channels. Proficiency in using communication tools and platforms, such as intranets, email marketing software, and content management systems. Familiarity with MS Office 365 suite.
Reporting Relationships: Reports to the Chief Executive Officer.
Working Conditions: Fully Remote Position. Minimal travel (e.g., 2x/yr.) to conferences and meetings, as necessary.
Compensation and Benefits: CARRA is committed to offering competitive compensation and benefits. Our comprehensive benefits package includes medical, dental, and vision coverage; time-off and leave policies; health savings and flexible spending accounts; employer-provided life and disability insurance; retirement savings benefits.
The above is intended to describe the general content of and requirements for the performance of this job. It is not to be construed as an exhaustive statement of essential functions, responsibilities, or requirements. CARRA is an equal opportunity employer that is committed to being an employer of choice, not just a good place to work, but a great and inclusive place to work. We strive to recruit and maintain a diverse workforce. Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, physical or mental disability, color, religious creed, ancestry, national origin, religion, age, sex, marital status, genetic information or testing, gender identity and expression, sexual orientation or status as a Vietnam-era or special disabled veteran or any characteristic protected by law. Reasonable Accommodations: CARRA is committed to providing reasonable accommodation for qualified individuals with disabilities in our job application procedures.
Please email curriculum vitae and cover letter to [email protected]. Applicant review will continue until the position is filled.